One of the best ways to get active is by joining a gym or fitness facility. However, navigating the gym can be challenging when you have a disability. Fortunately, you can overcome these barriers and enjoy safe and effective workouts at the gym. The key is successfully advocating for yourself and knowing how to ask for what you need.
What is Self-Advocacy?
Self-advocacy is taking action by speaking up and asking for what you need. Successful self-advocacy involves knowing your rights, understanding your needs, and effectively communicating those needs to others.
Why is it Important?
If you have a disability, self-advocacy can be a critical skill if you choose to exercise at a gym or fitness facility. Many facilities are not designed with the needs of individuals with disabilities in mind. Also, many health and fitness professionals are not aware of the needs of individuals with disabilities in these settings. Therefore, you need become your own best advocate by taking action to ensure that your needs are met.
Self-advocacy helps you:
- Get what you need (e.g. information, equipment, resources, instruction) to exercise safely and effectively.
- Make sure your rights are respected.
- Develop assertiveness and self-determination.
- Learn to say no without guilt.
- Express disagreement while respecting the needs of others.
How Do I Advocate for Myself?
The thought of having to speak up for your own interests can be scary. Fortunately, self-advocacy doesn’t have to be a daunting task. It is a learned skill that you can master through proper planning and practice. The key to success is having a solid strategy that gives you the confidence you need take action.
If you are interested in learning how to become your own best advocate at the gym, I invite you to join me FREE 30-minute webinar. In this webinar, you will learn:
- A simple 3-step plan for successful self-advocacy in health and fitness settings.
- Tips for effectively communicating with health and fitness professionals.
- Problem-solving strategies for developing creative solutions that are a win-win for everyone!
Here is everything you need to know to join me for this exciting event!
Webinar: Getting Fit with a Disability: How to Advocate for Yourself at the Gym
Date: Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Time: 7:00 – 7:30 pm EST
Duration: 30 minutes
Presented By: Jennifer Hobbs, MS, MBA
President & Founder, IncluFit
Can’t attend the live event? No problem! A recording will be made available to all registered attendees after the live event concludes. We’ll deliver it directly to your inbox for easy access and viewing.
I look forward to seeing you on February 28th!